[Bordermarch] Autumn Melees

Cindi Picou cdpicou at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 24 07:47:37 PST 2004

Well said, my dear Santiago!! If I can stop laughing, I would add a 'correction' to your final comment - it is the child herself one should fear!! If I am not mistaken, she is plotting her revenge as we speak.........

Thank you for your wonderful account of Melees. It is so nice to hear an event described by someone who views it with fresh eyes. I believe that Pandora would really appreciate publishing this account in the Parchment Pages this month; would you mind terribly allowing her to do so?

Selina
who is still gigling........

From:"Lathrop, Dave" <Dave.Lathrop at premcor.com>  View Contact Details To:dblathrop at yahoo.com [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]
Newbie observations at Autumn Melees, As I was banished from interacting directly with the customers entering "Thy Hammered Biscuit" my Lady Elisabeth of Green Mountain Keep, sole proprietor of above said tavern, did not mind that I raised my head whilst I washed her tableware in the rain. To take in the sights and sounds of the Autumn Melees was her gift to me for services rendered. To my great surprise everyone was having a wonderful time except when their tents collapsed around their heads in the middle of the night. I made many new friends who treated me like royalty despite my lowly station as my Lady Elisabeth's man boy. People from far away were making the same comments about what a wonderful event this was and how much they enjoyed the atmosphere that had been created. I was allowed to open the royal Sterno cans during Saturday's Royal lunch, a memory I will cherish forever. I heard battle cry's from the castle and a sound not unlike a stampede of wild horses as the fighters
 crashed into each other. Thunder issued forth from the battlefield and the solitary fighters blurred into a mass of color and flailing appendages. I witnessed our Baron die, several times, although I am certain there was treachery involved. Our Autocrat Lord Caleb MacLaughlin took a cheap shot to the shin and was seen staggering around the campsites late at night moaning like a lost soul. Count Sir Simonn stalked the field like the grim reaper about to give the touch of death to any within his reach. I saw Sir Sion Rhys of Badon surrounded and come out the victor. I saw female fighters that just plain scared me. The archers stood their ground serving long-range death while heavy fighters died protecting them from the onslaught of the enemy. Fighters staggered off the field torn and beaten down only to breath a few short well-earned breaths, grab their helms and return to the madness. While all this was going on the field marshals were dodging death trying to keep some semblance of
 order to the battles. Aaron Mudwolf  (aka Whitewolf) of Greywood almost conned me into helping his Viking hoard kidnap our Baron's daughter. I no longer know Mudwolf for fear of retribution and I feel his Viking hoard will soon disappear.    I feel the merchants and tavern people put up with the bad weather with exceptionally optimistic attitudes and look forward to seeing them again. I caught the bardic performances during court and was awed at the talent that people have. The Wolf Star people with their drummers and dancers set a mood in the evening that made you forget the mundane world we all had to return to but alas it was time to pack it up and go.  My Lady and I would like to thank everyone for allowing us to be a small part of this event and look forward to seeing old friends and meeting some new amazing people that only the SCA could produce, until then Vivat!P.S.  Mudwolf, do not fear the father of the child you took for he is a fighter and a logical man, fear the mother
 for she has lost her child!!

Selina Designs
http://www.geocities.com/cdpicou@sbcglobal.net/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world
Albert Einstein