[Bordermarch] Bordermarch Populace Meeting Notes Aug, 2006

Lord Phocas phocas at bordermarch.org
Fri Sep 15 21:10:41 PDT 2006

Greetings Baron Ericus the Silverhand and other who may have missed the last
couple Populace meetings,

  I agree that this group should be used for an exchange of information of
ideas and also of opinions (if properly stated and not attacking or
derogatory)- but I also see that the depth of some topics should be
discussed in meetings face to face where you also have full knowledge who is
listening.  Follows is my original message sent 9/12 BEFORE the Seneschal or
other officers knew that the Baronet was changing site fees - it was
censored and not posted to the list:

  I will not address the budget as I respect and agree with HE Caitrin that
this is not the place. But I will, if I may be allowed to comment on site
fees. I think this does need to be addressed with those not present to hear
what had been discussed at length at Populace, at Officers meetings and
Event financial meetings...

   Last year when I was Autumn Melees Event Steward, I felt site fee should
be raised and did a lot of research on what other groups in our Kingdom were
charging for their events.  First thing I found was that a straight
comparison was difficult because each group addresses charges for teenagers
and children differently - bottom line was that Bordermarch is one of the
most generous on the families with the most price breaks both for age and
for at what age range got those breaks.  At that time I found no other
regular(annual/re-occurring) events that were over $12.  In presenting this
data and discussions with the financial committee the decision was made to
keep the price at $12. Most events that only charged $8 had no price break
for teenagers- thus over 10-12 yrs old were full adult price.  We did not
loose money at Melees last year, but we did not replenish Baronial coffers
as needed.

  I have also come to realize this year, that when I did the analysis on
event fees that I did not take into consideration the extra days that add
extra value to Autumn Melees.  I was comparing prices to events that were
opening some time on Friday, activities on Saturday, and closing on Sunday-
with VERY few exceptions. Most events were $8-$12 for that one day of
activities (and they didn't have a castle to play on :)  So what that boils
down to is that last year at melees, we had two full days of activities,
both days full of classes, MOC activities, lots of merchants, Hafla
(including the Kingdom ME dance Championship), and LOTS of fighting at
$6/day.

  This year, much debate, and I mean a LOT of discussion went into site
fees, how much, where to give price breaks on arrival days and so on.  Adult
pricing at $18 is NOT almost double last year, yes it is a 50% increase in
total site fee (for members)from last year- but when you look at the fact
that is for 3 days of activities (5 days on site if one chooses) that is
STILL only $6/day of activities.  If you choose to come in late, late on
Friday or on Saturday, an adult is paying $16 or $8/day of activity.  That
is still cheaper then most kingdom events when you look at the cost per day
of activity.

  I too was very concerned with loosing attendance because of an increase,
but when you look at the value of what Autumn Melees has now been offering
in the last several years, it is still a great deal and very in line with
what the rest of the Kingdom is charging for events.

  I hope this has given those concerned with the price increase a better
understanding and a more positive perspective.  Hope to see you ALL at
Melees!

In Service to my Kingdom Ansteorra, Barony Bordermarch, and the Dream.

Lord Phocas of Bordermarch

         Live, Love and Illuminate the Dream!

  [question]
  What is "a few dollars" ?  The original asking price
for gate was almost double last year's gate, wasn't
it?   "So what?" you ask?
  Statistically, the event at which a price increase
is announced shows a decrease in attendance - and the
larger the increase, the larger the decrease.  By the
way, this goes all the way back to the days when we
increased site fees from $3 to $5!
  One of the reasons that people are willing to make
the long drive to our corner of the Kingdom has been
because we held our prices down - "A Good Time at a
Good Price"

  <snip>
> Because of the interest from across Kingdom and from
> visiting kingdoms,
> another day is added to the length of the event this
> year (opening site
> Thursday, also annexing the Monday before
> Thanksgiving

  [question]
  But what activities are we offering during this
extra    time?   Do they justify a 50% increase in
price? We do want these folks to feel like they got
their money's worth, don't we? ...and tell their
friends... and come back next year, etc.

>Thank you, Mistress Tessa, for your very kind report,
and for helping an old-timer stay "in the loop."

> My two cents,
  Baron Ericus the Silverhand, WSA