[Bordermarch] A Company of Fools

Todd Reamey radiorepublik at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 15:36:33 PST 2007

........................................................cute

Nikolai of the frozen cup

"Lathrop, Dave" <Dave.Lathrop at valero.com> wrote: Newsflash!!!....... February 16, 2007, a Company of Fools were found
frozen solid on the grounds of Rodgers Park this morning. They were
spotted by a passerby who claimed tears were frozen to their pale
cheeks, and they seemed to have been laughing at the precise instant
they were turned into ice sculptures.

My lady Elisabeth and I arrived at Rogers Park practice just in time to
assist HE Sir Simonn as he struggled with his armor. His hands, frozen
by the elements, were no longer capable of tying the simple knots
required to secure his armor. While attempting to fasten his chin strap
he clenched his eyes shut and started to screamed a proclamation of no
surrender to the heavens, but the words were ripped from his bloodless
lips by the artic wind, then hammered into the black nothingness of the
asphalt parking lot.

Shawn and Tim, being the young men they are, had no problem with their
gear and were ready to fight, despite the freezing weather. Shawn was
the first to challenge HE Sir Simonn. They faced off and promptly
started beating each other with a vigor brought on by the cold. Swords
would fly out of their grips due to numb hands, but still they continued
to battle. Tim then took the field and fought with courage and strength,
but still ended flat on his back. The dark specter of Simonn's shadow
blocked Tim's only source of light radiating from the street lamp.

All present heard something that sounded like a young girl screaming in
the dark, it was Todd. He was attempting to insert his oh-so protective
cup, but was not prepared for it's frozen touch. The cold must have also
invaded his big brain because it seems he forgot to remove his mundane
hat and was puzzled when his headgear wouldn't fit. Danny and Todd
fought like lions for two and one half minutes, then called it quits due
to their looming fear of getting struck on the hands by each others
weapon.

Throughout the evening a beautiful young lady dressed in black could be
seen swirling in circles as she did a balancing act on the concrete
curb. She would flap her arms wildly in the fridged night air, and swoop
up and down in what looked like an Indian rain dance. The onlookers were
mesmerized by the birdlike spirit songs she was constantly chirping to
herself. I believe this was her way of staving off the cold that was
slowly creeping into all of us. During one of her slower movements I
caught a glimpse of her face, and for a moment it reminded me of our
Baron's daughter, but I am not certain so no names will be mentioned
here.

Lord John the Sterling and the ever so lovely Lady Trevina ingain
Padraig were present to help the rest of us soak up the cold. We talked
a bit, did a little foot stomping dance to get the blood circulating in
our feet, then retired to our warm chariot to laugh and share good cheer
with each other.

HE Sir Simonn finally thawed out enough in the chariot to utter words we
could understand, he said we were all crazy for coming out on this cold
miserable night. We couldn't take him to seriously because the frozen
spittle at the corner of his mouth was beginning to melt and drip into
his beard.

Lady Elisabeth and I said our goodbyes and watched Lord John and
Paddywagon sprint from our cozy chariot through the barren wasteland of
the asphalt parking lot. Their little sprint turned into a full blown
race that was as griping and intense as any drama I've seen to date.
Lord John took the early lead as expected, he utilized his longer
stride, combining it with the powerful pumping action of his arms. He
looked like a big black locomotive running wild as the steam blew out
his nostrils and mouth. Paddywagon, not to be outdone, took advantage of
her youth and endurance and caught Lord John at the second painted
parking marker. I think she may have kicked his leg, thereby slowing his
pace just enough to allow her to reach their chariot before him.
Although Lord John and Paddywagon seem to be equal in an athletic sense,
her competitive nature and killer instinct will propel her on the
battlefield to greatness.

All in all in was fun to be there with friends, laughing at their pain
and choking down our own suffering as the enemy stole our warmth.We were
all too cold to realize we were experiencing the symptoms of
hyperthermia, succumbing to it's powerful lure of eternal peaceful
sleep, slowly being reduced to a bunch of frozen slobbering idiots, all
of us except Lady Elisabeth. She could see the potential danger in the
cold night air, and never left the warm protection of the interior of
our chariot.

Will there ever be a worst night for fighter practice than the one with
the bitter cold wind that stole the tears from our eyes? I don't know,
but if there is, that same Company of Fools will be climbing down it's
throat in full battle armor, laughing and dancing, and clapping each
others' back as they slowly slip into the ominous frozen oblivion

A Chronicle of Lord Santiago
Guardian of Green Mountain Keep