[Bordermarch] Women's History Month

Bill C Burgin billcburgin at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 06:50:20 PDT 2007

    As we begin another year, celebrations and reflection abound... the first month we celebrate MEN, with the Super Bowl (you see how cleverly they worked in a food-related item?). The next month we celebrate the contributions of Africans to our country, a group long oppressed and undervalued. Then in March - the first month of Spring - we celebrate another undervalued group, which has seen its own share of oppression: the Irish. Or, you would think that it is an entire month from the marketing that goes on... but the Irish have graciously consented to give all but one day of it to the acknowledgment of Women (I hear the announcement was made in a field strewn with busted rolling pins, and all of the delegates displayed the traditional head bandage but, as symbols go, those are not expected to catch on in this country).
      All kidding aside, let's not forget to take a moment and remember those remarkable women who have made our lives - individually, and as a species - what it is today.
  For instance, did you know that it was a woman who invented the first safety device to be placed on automobiles?  1907, a woman patented the first working windshield wiper.  It was manually operated, but it worked, and enabled people to continue driving, even in bad weather.  Hooray for her!  I wish I could remember her name!
  And the list goes on...

  Here's to you, Ladies!

  Ericus / Bill

Burma-shave