[Bordermarch] Fighter Practice 11/20/07

Lathrop, Dave Dave.Lathrop at valero.com
Tue Oct 23 09:22:19 PDT 2007

Unto Barony Bordermarch

Greetings,

Fighter practice this Sunday at Wuthering Heights Park was very well
attended. One of the highlights was when our Knight Marshal, Lord
Malcolm's armor exploded while he was fighting off Lord Godric's viscous
battle axe attack. Lord Malcolm was inhaling a huge breath just before
he unleashed a furious counter attack against Lord Godric. The unnatural
sound similar to a tire going flat at seventy miles an hour was heard by
all. Bits and pieces of his armor flew everywhere and the fight was
halted. Upon examining his armor it was discovered that it had broken in
no less than four places. A return visit to the armory is now a must for
Lord Malcolm.

Another treat was watching HE Armand and his favorite cadet Lord Nic
roll around on the ground, demonstrating how truly period rapier combat
would have taken place. Lord Nic's wife, Lady Bianca, made it all seem
so real when she screamed "Stop!!!, your going to break his knees".
There was no winner in that fight so they faced off once more. Lord Nic
took HE Armand in the face with one shot and the force of the blow
knocked HE Armand's blade from his hand. As HE Armand bent to retrieve
the fallen blade a bit of mud must have caught on the tip because when
he daubed Lord Nic in the face with a perfectly executed shot it left a
spot of mud right in Lord Nic's line of vision. When Lord Nic went on
the attack again he was blinded by the mud spot and lost the bout to a

giggling HE Armand. They seemed to end fighting well but were still
trying to trip each other as they left the field.

M'Lord Wolf displayed his athletic prowess by jogging around the field
in his full set of heavy armor. We decided next time he does this our
archers will use him for target practice.

Lord Malcolm distributed some literature to some very interested
visitors. It seems that all the walkers and joggers in the park are
getting closer to us as they do what they do at the park. It won't be
long before they are within talking distance and then they will be ours!

Sunday fighter practice is always followed up the next day with armory
at Sir Simonn's shop. We are implementing a new chin-strap for our helms
and it seems to be working out well. I modified my gorget by adding
leather to the neck contact area and flaring the chest and back contact
area for a more comfortable fit. We also flared my helms lower rim in
case it rode against the gorget it would form a smoother transition. My
face grill will come off next and be modified to provide a bit more room
for the new chin-strap and protruding nose. Lord Godric started
constructing his new gauntlets while M'lord Jeff continued on his ten
thousand piece Japanese suit of armor. Lord Sasha is nearing completion
with cutting out the metal plates for his coat of plates. It looks like
a lot of metal and we hope he will be able to rise from the battlefield
if he falls. M'lord Josh kinda stood around looking lost. He kept
mumbling something about rather being home racking his newest batch of
beer. He had his helm with him and it certainly looked as though it
could use some cleaning, but I guess his mind was elsewhere.

The Ever -so -Lovely Countess Mistress Tessa of the Gardens graced us
with her presence and doled out advice and encouragement to all, then as
mysteriously as she appeared, she vanished. I think she went into the
house to fix the love of her life, Sir Simonn, his figgy pie for supper.

M'Lord Wolf showed up to put his sword in the armory's sword stretcher.
He apparently cut a little too much off the end while modifying it and
now requires the sword stretcher's services. Bordermarch's armory has
been searching for a sword stretcher since this seems to be a common
problem, but we can't find one anywhere. I walked out of the armory last
night accompanied by M'Lord Josh. It was a nice stroll, but he was still
mumbling about beer and dirty helms.