[Bordermarch] Fighter Practice

Lathrop, Dave Dave.Lathrop at valero.com
Thu May 8 08:54:45 PDT 2008

Greetings Bordermarch,

Tonight, 7:00pm, Rogers Park, Dowlen Rd., fighter practice and communal
gathering. Bring your chairs and goodies, arts and crafts, and bring a
friend!
Bring some copies of the songs you would like to sing so everyone can
join in.
If your working on an A&S project or just messing around with something
new lets tell our most beautiful and capable Minister of Arts and
Science's, Paddy Wagon, all about it. She needs more things to keep her
busy.

Lord Nikolia Vladislav is now heading up the Brewers Guild. We have
brewers making ales, beers, honey mead, wine, and cordials. Lord Aaron
Whitewolf is dead set on making a vineyard near Borderkeep castle. We
have an area picked out and will soon put up some simple grape-vine
trellises. Lord Aaron has accumulated a large quantity of root stock
from different varieties of local grapes. Since all of these grapes are
local they should produce quite well with very low maintenance required.
We will find someone in the barony who has the largest, gnarly feet, and
let them stomp and squash around in the grapes until the grape juice
runs free.

We are toying with the idea of building a large bread oven made of brick
and mud for the Cooking Guild. The oven will be located near the BFT
area, and could be used for teaching period cooking techniques, as well
as enhancing the overall ambience of our events. The good thing about a
period bread oven is they are easy to make, and cost very little.  The
aroma of fresh baked bread is overwhelming and will certainly draw folks
towards the merchant area. If your interested in participating in this
project let me know.

The Potters Guild has plans to construct a kiln at site. They will make
some pottery pieces, and then fire them in the kiln during one of our
events. This would be an excellent way to get other pottery guilds to
participate. They could bring some of their unfired pottery with them,
and use our kiln to fire it.

Gifts for presentation to Their Royal Majesties during Coronation in
July would be most welcome. Hand made gifts are always appreciated by
Crown.

The Sewing Guild has plans to make more pennants for the lyst fields,
and some war tabards. A high priority is getting our chirurgeon
outfitted with official tabards that reflect his office and some banners
so everyone will be able to identify his location during an event. The
guild has discussed the need to make available some vests or tabards for
the different coordinators during an event. It would be very helpful for
everyone to be able to immediately identify those on parking duty,
public works, security, and other positions during an event. It would
also cut down on the the amount of running around trying to find the
event stewards.

Some ideas for classes that some of us could teach or head-up during
Autumn Melees this year would be; making chainmail, brewing basics,
pottery, cooking period food, metal casting, carving soapstone,
blacksmithing, heraldry, scribal arts, wood working, leather crafting,
and courtly graces. Our marshals could set up some mini tournaments, and
let those with experience teach others how the Lyst Mistress works their
magic. Site will open Thursday, but Friday would be a wonderful time to
hold some of these classes. There is always someone willing to teach and
share their knowledge, all we have to do is provide them a little time
and some space.

I almost forgot one of the most important classes that will most
certainly be taught; Setting Up and Tearing Down the BFT. I know there
will a tremendous outpouring of participants who will want to sign up
for this class, but please, control yourself!   To satiate your
overwhelming desire to help, contact Lord Phocas, for he is now the
official "Master of the BFT".