[Bordermarch] Peanut Flute

Lathrop, Dave David.Lathrop at valero.com
Mon Mar 23 11:52:11 PDT 2009

From: Lathrop, Dave
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 1:51 PM
To: Lathrop, Dave

Greeting Bordermarch,

We have returned from War with many great stories of honor and valor.
After the day's fighting, Bordermarcher's like to gather around the fire and swap stories, or just lie about things. I saw a lonely young man sitting at the edge of the camp's firelight, eating roasted peanuts. I told him he could make a peanut flute if he could get the nuts out of the shell without completely separating the two halves of the shell. There were several in our group who were slightly verbose with skepticism, but the young man listened intently all the same. I watched as he picked out a rather large peanut and carefully
opened the shell to extract the nuts. He then proceeded to nibble the smallest of holes in the end of the peanut. He thought none were watching when he raised it to his lips and blew. He blew on the peanut real hard until his cheeks puffed way out. The only sound we heard was a strong rushing wind-like noise coming from his schnozzle. He continued to huff and puff, but the peanut was silent. The rest of our crew were stunned by the fact that this boy actually believed what I told him. They did in all honesty try to warn him. He finally realized that the peanut flute was a myth; a story passed down from the beginning of time, from father to son. He looked at me with saddened eyes that were starting to mist over, then smashed the peanut to the ground!
I try to teach the young ones in our group to believe in the dream and obey my every command: some do, some don't, he did.

This young man's effort to make a flute from a peanut inspired a poem of sorts I'd like to share:

BLOW YOUR PEANUT JESSIE

Her heart grows cold
In the summer's light
She's lost the love