[Bordermarch] Tessa's Phoenician Soup

tessa tessa at gt.rr.com
Sat Jan 9 00:19:39 PST 2010

Meresankh,
Glad to share how. Thanks for asking. Glad you thought it tasted good.

Phoenician Pease Soup w/ Boar & Grains & Carrot Slivers

Please adapt as you wish.
I do not exactly "measure"... and I cook with very little salt.

Ingredients:
Pork bone w/ ample flesh on it
3 to 4 Cups total, dried Split Peas, various colors.
1 Leek, Celery, Garlic pod, Parsley, Herbal seasonings of your choice.
(If lacking fresh herbs, dehydrated will do.)
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Root such as a sweet root Parsnip (or modern Carrot), slivered
1/2 Cup grains (Barley, Rice, as you please)

Directions:
Save from recent left-over smoked boar, a goodly shoulder or hip bone joint,
with ample flesh about it.
This to boil in pot #1 for the marrow and broth that it will render and to
tenderize the pork shoulder meat.

Gather dry pease in assorted colors of green, orange, yellow, brown.
Wash well the pease; place them in pot #2, and cover in water to soak.
I start the burner on low and let the peas soak in warming water for a
couple of hours or longer.

Finely chop the leeks (onions), celery, and other herbs.
In another pan #3, in olive oil to dampen the base of the pan, sauté chopped
leeks, celery, and garlic, parsley and/or what you may.

If lacking a goodly marrow bone with flesh of boar, use cubed pork chops
instead, or ham.
(Modern concentrated ham base from a jar can also be used to develop broth
with added flavor if you choose.)

To a warm pot of soaked Pease,
add the Marrow Broth or other liquid you prefer and also the Meaty parts.
Stir in sautéed herbs.
Add slivers of Root.
Bring to a boil. Continue to add Liquid as needed, stirring often.
Add in any other seasonings to your taste.
Allow to boil rapidly on hottest for about 5 minutes, then add Grains to
pease pot. Lower the heat.
Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes covered, until split pease and grains
are softened.
Stir often.
Continue to simmer on low for 20 more minutes or longer while liquid is
plentiful.
This soup will hold well, staying warm in a crock pot, for several hours.

I have also tossed in at last few minutes of cooking, crumbs of yesterday's
toast, depending on the liquid consistency of the soup.
Ladle into bowls. Serve aside fresh hot bread of choice.