[Bordermarch] Stuff

Lathrop, Dave David.Lathrop at valero.com
Wed Jul 7 04:41:41 PDT 2010

Greetings Bordermarch,

Since I'm always on the lookout for different ways to build a better box, when a large bandsaw dropped into my lap for free I could not refuse.
The bandsaw just happened to be located in Louisiana and I had to make the trip with my 18yr old son Termiticus to drag it back home.
Fortunately it had  already been loaded onto a small utility trailer and since I had some spare space in the back of the truck, I loaded up a 60 gallon tilting steam kettle. I got the kettle just in case Elisabeth wants to boil me some crawfish. I also added another 150lb section of old black slate laboratory table-top to the collection to be hauled home.

All went well until the trailer tire blew out near Buna.
The trailer just couldn't take the weight of the 900lb bandsaw and slate table top. Of course we had no lug wrench sized right to remove the tire so we had to leave my treasure on the side of the road while we made a dash to find a lug wrench in Buna.
We made it back and changed the tire in the 100 degree roadside heat and finally made it to the house.
I had to rig up a block and tackle system to help with the relocation of the bandsaw from the trailer into the shop. Termiticus had never seen a block and tackle rig and immediately proceeded to wrap himself in the ropes and hoist himself up into the rafters of the shop. When I saw what he was doing I knew it would do no good to warn him of the danger; sure enough, Termiticus became entangled in the ropes and had to work a good ten minutes before he could lower himself to the ground.

We hooked up the system of ropes to the bandsaw and proceeded to drag it like a dead 900lb metal alien from the trailer, up the stairs, and into the shop.
Due to the extreme heat, I had to stop two times before I became sick during our little adventure; Termiticus never slowed down. He was infatuated with the medieval block and tackle system and its power.

After three hours of tugging and sweating we finally managed to get the beast into the shop and there it will sit until I can catch my breath enough to plug it in.

We are saddened by the fact that no one knows when Sir Simonn and family will be returning to our fair lands. If they do not come home soon we shall go to their house to pillage and plunder!