[Bordermarch] April A & S

Lathrop, Dave David.Lathrop at valero.com
Wed May 5 05:16:09 PDT 2010

Yes, I did make the tent stuff as Elisabeth mentioned, but she forgot to mention the bottles of spiced oils she created and presented to our new Champions and Their Excellencies Loch Soilleir. She even had time to make me another shirt.

I am very proud to announce that I also made a Magic String!

Most are not aware that my extensive circle of friends include a select group of specialized Bavarian Tent-Pole-Makers, it was they who taught me the ancient art of making a Magic String.

A Magic String is use by Tent Pole people to help with the lay-out of their tent stakes prior to tent set-up.
Since I had no flax cordage in my stockpile of stuff, I opted to use a substitute; 3/8" brown hairy rope stuff one can find at Walmart.
I tied a dragon bowline to each end of the cordage which was 12' plus 2'something long.
I then doubled up the cordage and held the two dragon bowlines together while stretching out the Magic String.

After ciphering the dangle of the angle I secured the dragon bowlines around a bibit which I just happen to have, and proceeded to contort the cordage into the shape of a triangle.
I then marked a spot on each rope about 6'from the dragon bowlines, these spots would be the locators for the tent stakes.

To use the Magic String one needs only drive a stake into the ground where the center of your pavilion will be, then place both dragon bowlines around the center stake.
Stretch out the Magic String to form a triangle and drive a stake at the two marks on the cordages.(I opted to wrap white duct tape over the marks on the cordage to enhance the ambience of the whole thing.)
Leave the dragon bowlines around the center stake and rotate the Magic String until the first marked spot is on the second stake you've just hammered into the ground. Form another triangle and drive another stake at the mark that's free. Continue this until you reach the first stake.

WARNING: This only works on round pavilions!

Remove the center stake when you're finished.

I have found that the Magic String can also be used to secure the lid on a plastic tub while journeying to events.
It can also be used to hang banners when the banner rods are forgotten.
I've also seen it used to pull tent stakes from the ground, and through trial and error I have learned that it's not good to soak a Magic String in kerosene!

On a side note; I've been researching the history of the letter "G".