Brewing guidelines (was Re: BVC - LPT...)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Nov 11 06:22:56 PST 1998

Pug Bainter (pug at pug.net) said something that sounded like:
> > First of all, we need to work on the judging guidelines
> > we talked about. Pug-can you repost our take on the judging form so we can
> > work on what a judge needs to know...
> I will post them tomorrow.

Here it is without any score consideration:

----
Category: Domestic Arts, Sub-category: Brewing and Vintning

  NOTE: These are guidelines to help those new to the art or new to
        judging to help them figure out what to look for. Just because
        you do everything in these guidelines, doesn't mean you'll have
        a perfect score or win a competition.

DOCUMENTATION
 Description/purpose (What the entry is and its uses)
 Period/locale (When and where this sort of item would have been made.)
 Materials & techniques used in period
 Materials & techniques used to produce entry (include justification for
any substitution of materials or departure from period technique)
 Sources
-list at least 3 "primary" or "secondary" sources
 Attachments (Supply at least one photocopy or photo of
pertinent/applicable  period examples, recipes, patterns, etc.)

PRESENTATION/DISPLAY
Is there a clear glass present in order to view the color and clarity as
well as to smell the bouquet and aroma of the entry? Are crackers,
bread and/or cheese present to help clear the palate before sampling to
ensure a clean tasting of the entry? Are enough taster cups available to
allow each individual judging to have his own? Are the bottles clean and
labeled as to their content? Is it chilled to an appropriate temperature
for the style, locale and season?

COMPLEXITY/DIFFICULTY
Includes consideration for level of involvement, creativity in project
extrapolation, execution, etc. Is this from all-grain, fresh fruit and/or
hops? Did the individual crack their own grain, pick or grow their own
fruit, harvest their own honey, etc? Is this from wild yeast or cultivated?
Was it aged in an appropriate container?

WORKMANSHIP/TECHNICAL SKILL

[ See appendix regarding odors, flavors, carbonation, color, clarity, etc. ]

AUTHENTICITY OF ENTRY/PROJECT
Validity of entry/project as a period recreation. The authenticity of the
entry/project should be adequately addressed and supported in the
documentation. Are there examples of this specific style of entry within
the time period addressed within the SCA or the competition?

AUTHENTICITY OF MATERIALS
Were materials used to produce the entry that are appropriate to the
entry's period? If non-period materials have been used, is there adequate
justification for any such substitution or deviation? Materials
authenticity should be adequately addressed and supported in the
documentation.

AUTHENTICITY OF TECHNIQUES
Were techniques used to produce the entry appropriate to the entry's
period? If non-period techniques were used, is adequate justification shown
for any such substitution or departure? Technique authenticity should be
addressed and supported in the documentation.

QUALITY OF FINISHED WORK/AESTHETICS
How well does entry represent its period counterpart(s) and fulfill its
function and aesthetic concerns of its period?

[ See appendix regarding odors, flavors, carbonation, color, clarity, etc
  for each style to compare against. ]

OVERALL IMPRESSION (Judges discretion)
----