BVC - women and brewing -Reply

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Apr 2 13:11:11 PST 1999

Chuck Graves (Chuck.Graves at faa.gov) said something that sounded like:
>   I would also venture that you should consider yet another aspect:  when
>   did brewing become more predominantly a guild activity?  Perhaps the
>   masculine angle comes from both general consumption (how many women
>   generally frequented the taverns?) and public production (how many women
>   were part of the brewing guilds?)

This certainly is a possibility. As the evolution of the guilds went,
this may be fairly close. I will have to check one of my books at home
that talks about the brewing guilds (although it actually for coopers)
to some extent. It should give rough ideas on when the guilds tried to
take better control of things in England.

I know in the main part of Europe that guilds started taking control of
cities a couple centuries earlier.

>   Most definitely.  For my part, I believe you should always include
>   the cordiallers.

I know I always try to include cordialers specifically.

I never think to include vinegars since I don't know anyone actually
making them from scratch. Most people I know working in this area are
just adding flavorings to existing vinegars.