BVC - women and brewing -Reply

Chuck Graves Chuck.Graves at faa.gov
Fri Apr 2 13:33:08 PST 1999

Greetings,

>I never think to include vinegars since I don't know anyone actually
>making them from scratch. Most people I know working in this area are
>just adding flavorings to existing vinegars.

  I have unfortunately made one of the most delightful vinegars: black
  raspberry.  Prior to that, it was one of my most cherished cordials.
  It was most depressing, initially.  Of course, I was also threatened
  by several cooks when I contemplated throwing it out.

  Basically, take most any fairly acidic wine or cordial, let it get
  warm to hot, and let it get some air--old fashioned approach.  I
  suppose I was lucky a mold didn't take up residence but the cordial
  was about 120 proof.

  A more sterile approach is to get a vile of "mother of vinegar" which
  has the appropriate microorganism.  Apply this to the substance in
  question and wait.

  NOTE:  I do not recommend the latter for a brewing household.  You
  infect the house and you may well end up with NOTHING but vinegar.
  The same goes for making cheese.  Some household hobbies are not
  compatible.