BVC - women and brewing -Reply

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 2 15:50:01 PST 1999

 Tadhg said,
>  I would also venture that you should consider yet another aspect:  when
>  did brewing become more predominantly a guild activity?  Perhaps the
>  masculine angle comes from both general consumption (how many women
>  generally frequented the taverns?) and public production (how many women
were part of the brewing guilds?)
	But according to what I know on guilds in England, women could hold down
two independent guild memberships.  Their own, which seems to be including,
according to records, brewsters or brewers and they often married into a
guild through their husbands.  They had memberships in their husbands even
after his death, receiving full benefits.  Husbands, on the other hand,
weren't allowed to marry into their wives so there are often records of
Roger,so and so, grocer married to Betty Whosis, brewster.  I know of a
great many city legal issues that dealt with women and brewing....  So
while women didn't frequent taverns, they often ran them and/or brewed and
sold their brew legally. There seems to be records of more women who brewed
and sold it than men, until the legalization of hops in England, whereby
men started taking it over.  Woman, could be considered femmme de sole or
woman in their own right, in regards to their brewing.  (I guess this is
kinda beside the point sense I was curious why women don't brew more in the
SCA.  Historically, we are not being accurate (grin). Of course, I haven't
a clue what happened on the continent.....

 >        Is that true?  I know Isabella of York,(apologies for
misspelling) who has been posting recently on this list is from the Eastern
area.   ***I stuck this in to correct my mispelling.

>  Most definitely.  For my part, I believe you should always include
>  the cordiallers.  They are all brewing arts to me.
	I agree the only problem is that most cordiallers tend to also be cooks
and by and large if you ask them they will tell you that they are cooks not
brewers.  Which is why for me, it's harder to pin down who they are.  Most
cordiallers tend to be woman actually...... so it's almost a reverse of
brewers who brew wine, beer, and alcohol (grin).

>  In fact, the Interkingdom Brewers Guild recognizes the following
>  areas: 1) beers and ales; 2) wines, ciders, and cysers; 3) meads,
>  metheglins, and melomels; 4) cordials and liqueurs; 5) exotic drinks
>  (e.g., kumis and kefir); 6) vinegars and 7) distilled beverages (I
>  know, I know--an all-American no-no).
	This is totally acceptable. I agree with this set-up. Again, like Pug I
don't know of brewers who make vinegar.  or cooks who make vinegar from
mothers either.....

Clare