BVC - King's College...

Chuck Graves Chuck.Graves at faa.gov
Mon Apr 12 14:42:49 PDT 1999

>      3) "Clove gillyflowers" are good, old-fashioned pink carnations.  Be
>      careful when you go looking for dianthus, also known as "pinks", at
>      the nurseries.  You don't want to use "pinks"; I've been told they are
>      not good for your health.  As for a supply of gillyflowers, you have
>      to wait until they bloom...I have about a dozen plants and the flowers
>      are just now forming.  8^)

According to the herbalists and botanical people I've consulted, clove gillyflow
s aren't carnations.  Related, but not the same.
If I can't find clove dianthus, I may turn to carnations...

     Check the Oxford English Dictionary.  I believe it lists the
     gillyflower as Dianthus cariophyllus (?), the pink carnation. Of
     course, they're devilishly hard to find at the nurseries. I did manage
     to get a few flowers last year before the accursed Oklahoma summer
     took over--smelled like a freshly crushed clove. The aroma is much
     more pronounced than what you get from the floral shops. The larger
     carnations probably suffer from the same thing as modern
     roses--cultivated for their looks instead of their scents.

>      4) A beer is good as long as it's still beer. Although it may be urban
>      legend, I understand the Bass ale they brought up from various
>      shipwrecks was still quite palatable. My imperial stout gets better
>      with age. I've had a couple hide for as long as a year...you always
>      misplace a few things when you move.

Can you keep one for, say, 10 years?

     Good lord, girl. I'm only human!