BVC - King's College...

Chuck Graves Chuck.Graves at faa.gov
Tue Apr 13 06:55:12 PDT 1999

>Not that you're wrong.... Only because when I thought of that I
>immediately thought of the pink carnations you get in the florists.

     So did I.

     History:
     I asked my knight (brewer, cook, and all-around scholar) what clove
     gillyflowers were. He pulled out the Oxford English Dictionary which
     gave a 16th-century (I think) citation, and gave the Latin botanical
     name for carnations.

     I think Clare and I ended up at the same place.  It's not the big
     fluffy florist's carnations.  They are smallish, "pepto bismal pink"
     things. I think they are referred to as "doubles", though.  It's not
     a single, five-petal flower like the "pinks"; they are slightly more
     complex (but only slightly), and about the size of a half-dollar.

>If badgered because I have to dig through piles, I can find the catalog
>that sells period gilliflowers and pinks here in the US.. They actually
>have several varieties that are traceable back the the 16th and 17th
>century.

     Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger,
     badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger,
     badger, badger, badger...8^)

>they have a heavy clove scent.  I know, having seen them, that Howard's
>Nursery in Bryn Gwlad sells clove gilliflowers from time to time.

     Don't they, though--absolutely glorious.  And quite a bit of trouble
     tracking down even ONE nursery that carried them (at least, in
     Oklahoma).  But they did winter very well...and they are spreading.
     I'm looking forward to a lot of experimental brewing this spring and
     summer.

     Clare, do the ones you've seen have rather dark, almost blue leaves?