BVC - Gruit Question

Patrick J. Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Wed Apr 21 07:36:46 PDT 1999

At 09:03 AM 4/21/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I showed this at LPT as an experiment and got some very useful comments
>from Master Petrucchio.  He said that hops, stimulate all aspects of the
>pallet; sweet, sour, bitter, and salt.  The herbs that were used in
>England before hops came into use were parsely, sage, rosemary, and thyme.
><bursts into song> (remember me to one who lives the....ere.....she once
>was a true love of mine)  Okay, well that's where the line in the song
>comes from.  These herbs stimulate all of the pallet.  I have no
>documentation for this other than "Master Petrucchio said so".  But I bet
>he knows where it is.

Let me dig through my old documentation and try to find exactly where I got
the information
from.  It's been awhile, like 5-6 years ago when I was doing a class.  Let
me see if I can find one of
the old handouts with the biblio on it.

If there is a great interest in brewing with gruits, I'll start digging up
everything I have in my
resources for folks.   It would be interesting to actually brew a beer that
appeals the the
modern palate while using medieval gruit herbs.

Sound interesting to anyone but Damaris?  If so, I'll post the information
here instead of
privately.

Petruccio