BVC - King's College...

Chuck Graves Chuck.Graves at faa.gov
Mon Apr 26 10:31:52 PDT 1999

     Greetings, all.

     While I am not the mysterious "D", here is my bibliography for
     cordials:

        _The Jewell House of Art and Nature_, Sir Hugh Platt, 1594

        _Delights for Ladies_, Sir Hugh Platt, 1609

        _The Queens Closet Opened_, W. M., 1655

        _The Closet Of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digbie Kt. Opened:
         Whereby is Discovered Several Ways for Making of Metheglin, Sider,
        Cherry-Wine, etc._, 1669

     Also, _A Sip Through Time_ by Cindy Renfrow is an excellent resource
     since she has pretty much culled through these and many other
     sources...but you would expect that from a Laurel.

     I forget which of the Platt works has a chapter dedicated to
     distillation.  The key is to look for recipes for "cordiall waters".
     Digby is probably the skimpiest of the resources.

     Of course, Digby documents VERY specifically the making of "jack"
     (can't remember what he calls it).  He was taught it by the "Muscovite
     diplomat", I believe.  Start with good mead end with good
     brandy...quite illegal in the States.