BVC - Period Fruits for winemaking

eric mauer eric.mauer-next at attws.com
Thu Apr 29 08:55:26 PDT 1999

This list is a product of a conversation I had with Mistress Raisya
regarding what fruits were known in period. Her specialty is period
gardens, and she has generously provided a list of fruits that were
mentioned in period gardening references.

This of course, doesn't mean that all the fruits listed were used
for wines, but it at least gives us fruits that were known to be
edible. From what I've seen-if it could be fermented, someone did... <grin>

Tuhtahl

FRUITS FOR BREWERS

a list of garden references to fruits that may have been used
in brewing, by period sources.

by Mistress Raisya Khorivovna

Charlemagne's CAPITULARE DE VILLIS - ca. 800 AD

melon - (probably a round "icebox" type watermelon or a European canteloupe)
apple
pear
plum
service (Sorbus domestica)
medlar (Mespilus germanica)
peach
quince
mulberry
fig
cherry

THE PLAN OF ST. GALL - ca 820

apple
fig
medlar
mulberry
peach
pear
plum
quince
service

HORTULUS - Walahfrid Strabo - ca 845 AD

melons - probably a round "icebox" type watermelon or a European canteloupe
grape

LE MESNAGIER DE PARIS - late 14th century

raspberry
gooseberry
grapes
cherry
plum

TACUINUM SANITATIS IN MEDICINA - 14th century

quinces
grapes  (also raisins)
sugar cane
cherries
black cherries
medlars
apricots
plums
peaches
pears
sour apples
melons - European canteloupe
watermelons - round "icebox" types
eastern "watermelons" - melons with a green rind and yellow flesh (NOT
a honeydew) This is sometimes called an Israeli or Palestinian melon.
figs
sweet pomegranates
sour pomegranates
apples
jujube
bananas (knew of, but questionable that they had actually seen them)
dates
lemons
bitter oranges
citrons

Not: manual also refers to - vinegar, verjuice, white wine, rose water,
robust red wine, old aromatic wine, citrine wine

THE FROMOND LIST - ca. 1525 ("Herbys necessary for a gardyn")

melons
peach
plum
gooseberry
"vine" (grapes?)
quince

500 POINTS OF GOOD HUSBANDRY - 1580 - Thomas Tusser

"musk million, in April and May" - European canteloupe (best sown in
April and May.)
capers
lemmans - lemons
orenges - oranges
rubarb - rhubarb
strawberies - strawberries

THE ENGLISH HOUS-WIFE - 1649 - Gervase Markham

mellons - European canteloupe
"Marueilous apples" (?)
citrons

Mistress Raisya adds: "Feel free to post it and copy it as needed,
just leave my name on it so people know who to ask questions."

Eric Mauer
Austin Customer Care
AT&T Wireless Services
eric.mauer-next at attws.com
tuhtahl at moritu.net

"Crazy in a crazy world is as good as sane"