BVC - From the Society...

OxladeMac@aol.com OxladeMac at aol.com
Thu Jun 10 19:06:52 PDT 1999

In a message dated 6/9/99 11:43:10 PM Central Daylight Time, pug at pug.net
writes:

<< Further discussion with
 Andrew also revealed that local brewer's newsletters are putting us in
 insurance peril if they focus on redacting recipes or publishing new
 recipes developed by members of the guild. >>

You must be joking!  Let's see, I'm going to research a recipe, go thorough
all the hard work of converting medieval measures to modern ones, and figure
out what all the appropriate ingredient substitutions are, and I can't
publish this because it is some sort of insurance risk?  Well, I guess I'll
executioner's swords!

I have to agree with Tadhg - what sane person could possibly think that
scholarly works on brewing (or even non-scholarly works) present more of a
threat to the society than, say, Gulf Wars.  It's not like we're discussing
how to do something illegal like distilling.

As for King's college, I see no problem with what we are doing - even the
hands-on labs.  No SCA funds are involved.  All handouts are (probably) paid
for by the instuctors (unless they request a fee from participants.)  Tasting
sessions might get a little dicey, but we aren't doing anything illegal (at
least in most states.  It's legal in Oklahoma as long as its wine - just get
the ABLE permit.)

And as for SCA funds not being used for news letters - looks like all the
more reason to have an on-line newsletter.  We'll find another on-line host
if we have to.  If we have to quit the BVC list, we can all migrate to the
historical brewer's list.  (God, won't Greg Lindahl hate us!)  If we can't
have homebrew at events, we'll, we'll.....  Oh, I don't want to think about
that!

Has anyone thought to drop a line to the American Homebrewer's Association
about this?  You know how they have that campaign to get brewing legalized in
all 50 states?  I bet they've got some "hired guns" that could be used to put
together a persuasive case for the society's lawyers.