BVC - Spice Question

Rurik rurik at ccgnv.net
Sat Jun 26 13:33:42 PDT 1999

OxladeMac at aol.com wrote:

> I've got a mead recipe that calls for the steeping of 6 bags of Earl Grey tea
> (probably for the tannins.)  I don't have any Earl Grey, but I do have some
> peppermint tea.  Would this substitution be bad?  Would the peppermint be too
> overpowering?

The peppermint wouldn't add any tannins, which I believe is the only reason for using tea at all.
The flavor will definitely change the flavor of the mead, so unless you want a peppermint flavoring,
I'd advise against it. Any black tea would substitute nicely.

> Also, the recipe calls for whole cinnamon sticks, but all I have is ground
> cinnamon.  About how much ground cinnamon equals a cinnamon stick?

Oh. Don't do that. Ground spices are almost impossible to clarify out. Spend the little bit of money
and get the sticks. Your mead will thank you for it.

Rurik

--
*** Master Rurik Petrovitch Stoianov
*** mka Steve Harrett