BVC - Spice Question

Susan Wieland damaris at io.com
Sat Jun 26 17:53:42 PDT 1999

OxladeMac at aol.com wrote:

> Sorry - Last message got screwed up somehow.  Here is what it should have
> said:
>
> Is anyone out there this afternoon?  I'm needing some advice
>
> I've got a mead recipe that calls for the steeping of 6 bags of Earl Grey tea
> (probably for the tannins.)  I don't have any Earl Grey, but I do have some
> peppermint tea.  Would this substitution be bad?  Would the peppermint be too
> overpowering?

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  If you don't have Earl
Grey, just use regular Lipton Tea or Luzianne.  I don't know what the
peppermint tea will do.  My guess would be that it would add a mint
flavor to your mead.  Could be interesting but might not be what you
want.

> Also, the recipe calls for whole cinnamon sticks, but all I have is ground
> cinnamon.  About how much ground cinnamon equals a cinnamon stick?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure but, I'd go with just 1/4 of a teaspoon.  The sticks
usually sit and soak for a bit and then are removed.  The chemicals that
make the cinnamon taste and flavor are extracted from the bark (which
makes the cinnamon sticks) so I doubt that there is a whole lot that
actually is used to flavor.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Damaris
--