BVC - Growing list of Northern Brewers

chuck.ctr.graves@mmacmail.jccbi.gov chuck.ctr.graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Tue Nov 16 12:56:00 PST 1999

     Hi, Damon.

     Pug, he sounds like a recruiting volunteer. 8^)

     Good start on the list. I'd also recommend a general brewing class
     (overview) to start things off--followed by your others:

- Basic Wines & Meads
     (you might split this into two classes)

* Fruit Wines

- Basic Beers

- Cordials

     Generally, stick to topic areas that can be covered in 60-90 minutes.
     Some of your other suggestions tend to get absorbed in the other
     classes like redactions, materials, sources, history, and regional
     evolution.  Also, it can be hard to stretch those to a full hour--and
     the class size will tend to be much smaller.

     You mentioned the class size was dwindling lately.  Don't be
     concerned.  It's a function of made it that day and what you were
     scheduled against.  The best opportunity for us is to get our classes
     in a linear progression throughout the day--and not compete.

     Some of the other topics would be great for a brewing roundtable at
     the end of the day:

- Documentation for SCA competition.
  [Anybody adverse to creating a listing of suggested sources?
   Digby probably heads it.]

- Judging SCA BCV competitions criteria, etc.
  [documenting your deviations from period methods, etc.]

     and you could add:

* Our judging standards vs. other kingdoms/guilds

* Mead: to cook or not to cook?

* Vintners and Mazers: Artists or Chemists?

     Of course, that should probably be roundtable/tasting.

     Just some thoughts,