BVC - Raisin wines

Chuck_CTR_Graves@mmacmail.jccbi.gov Chuck_CTR_Graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Fri Nov 19 12:18:17 PST 1999

     Hi, all.

     Magdalena, here's what I found.

     Apicius uses raisin wines in his recipes but no recipe for raisin
     wine. The recipes I have are from The Queen's Closet Opend (1655) and
     Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery (dated to c. 1550-1625).

     However, I find these editorial notes (from John Edwards) regarding
     Apicius in the Introduction:

     Roman Cooking Wines

        Apicius was concerned with the kitchen, not the wine cellar, and
        his are principally cooking wines, with the exception of certain
        spiced and honeyed varieties served at the beginning of the Roman
        dinner.

        Passum (raisin wine) was made from the musk-flavored psythian or
        muscatel grapes.  These were left of the vine and not picked until
        they had shriveled to half their weight.  Alternatively, the grapes
        were aged more rapidly through being picked when ripe, then spread
        out on trays under the sun, or else they were immersed in boiling
        olive oil.  The raisins were then soaked in a superior wine until
        they became swollen.  At this stage they were crushed underfoot and
        pressed.  Passum of the second rank was obtained by adding water to
        the grapes for another pressing.  The Romans of Apicius' day valued
        Cretan passum most highly, followed by varieties from Cilicia (a
        Roman province in Asia Minor facing Cyprus), Africa (Libya), and
        lastly Italy.  Apicius used raisin wine to color, sweeten, and
        flavor meats, vegetables, and fish.  Passum invariably appears in
        the ingredients for sweet sauces.  The modern descendants of passum
        are Italian passito wines, and the  vins de paille of France.

     That's all I can dig up at present.