BVC - :) Happy Happy Ox!

OxladeMac@aol.com OxladeMac at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 19:32:11 PST 1999

Howdy all.  Don't mind me, I'm just going to gloat for a while here.

Twas a good day at Ox's keep
In August, the grain did steep
On that day a bock was brewed
To go with kraut and sausage and stew
On this day the beer be kegged
The barrel filled high, the bung hole pegged
Into the mug the first sample poured
"MY GOD THAT'S GOOD" the brewer roared!
To Ox's keep the masses did flock
To taste this wonderful, most glorious bock.
Overrun with fear that the masses might
Drink all the brew that was in sight
The doors were barred and bolted and locked
And inside sat a Happy Happy Ox.

Stuff tastes damn good!  It could use a couple more months lagering to mellow
it out even more, but man!  I'm glad I finally got it right.  VERY VERY
MALTY!  Bitterness is subdued - burried behind the maltiness!  This is a malt
lovers beer!  The maltiness is complex - probably due to the 7 different
malts that went into it.  I hope there's some left for you all to try at
Candlemas!

Makes 5 gal:
8 lb. Munich malt
4 1/2 lb. Pilsner malt
1 lb. Carapils malt
3/4 lb. Caramunich malt
3/4 lb 40L crystal malt
1/4 lb. Belgian special B malt
1/4 lb. Aromatic malt
4 lb. light malt extract (liquid)
1 1/4 oz Norther Brewer whole hops for 45 min at 6.3% alpha acid = 18 IBU
1/2 oz Hersbrucker plug for 10 min at 3% alpha = 1.2 IBU
Wyeast 2206 Barvarian Lager

2 hr. mash at 152F.  Sparge with boiling water.  Boil for 90 minutes, adding
bittering hops after 45 minutes and flavor hops at 80 minutes.  Force chill.
Pitch BIG starter.  OSG =1.088. Ferment at 50 degrees for 2 weeks, rack, and
lager at 38 degrees for 3 months.

FSG = 1.042 => 6% alcohol (Very high ending gravity - I'm kind of surprised.
It might ferment down a bit more, but probably not.  There are all sorts of
unfermentables - very sweet malty beer.)