BVC - Hydrometers and cordials

Brian Songy bxs3829 at usl.edu
Wed Oct 20 08:45:45 PDT 1999

Drop a line if you're
     interested and I'll dig it out.
I'm interested. :)

Matheus de Troyes, mundanely known as
Brian Songy
Manager, Computer Services
New Iberia Research Center
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
4401 West Admiral Doyle Drive
New Iberia, LA 70560
(318)482-0303
bxs3829 at louisiana.edu

-----Original Message-----
From:	chuck.ctr.graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
[SMTP:chuck.ctr.graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov]
Sent:	20 Oct 1999 11:28
To:	bvc at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject:	Re[2]: BVC - Hydrometers and cordials

     Greetings,

     Finally, got my mail backlog down to 1 month.

     On hydrometers:

     If anyone is still interested in the hydrometer question, some brewers
     in the East kingdom experimented with eggs a little while back.

     The results were in one of my copies of SCUM, and correlate "breadth
     of a groat" to modern specific gravities.  Drop a line if you're
     interested and I'll dig it out.

     On cordials:

     I have been able to find cordials and "cordiall waters" using either
     distillation or steeping.  The former normally involved steeping
     fruits, herbs, etc., in a wine and the distilling the wine.  The
     latter involved direct steeping of fruits, herbs, etc., in grain
     alcohol ("aqua vitae") or brandy (though rarely.)

     Someday I hope to put together a small limbeck and find out how strong
     (proof) period "aqua vitae" was.  I imagine it will be in the 150 to
     160 proof range but I'm not sure.