BVC - 105 year old bottles of beer for sale

Brian Songy bxs3829 at louisiana.edu
Tue Apr 4 06:31:01 PDT 2000

FYI

- Matheus de Troyes

>From RBPMail 6.04, April 2000 [Real Beer Inc. [slist at lists.realbeer.com]]
105-YEAR-OLD BOTTLES OF BEER UP FOR SALE
Six bottles of 105-year-old beer, three full and three half-full, will
be auctioned later this month. Diver Jim Phillips received considerable
attention last year when he drank a bottle of the beer after it was salvaged
from a shipwreck. The ship sank on its way from Glasgow to Adelaide in
1894 when it hit rocks off Thorn Island, Pembrokeshire. Much of the
cargo, which included 7,500 cases of whisky and 7,000 crates of beer,
was smashed or washed ashore. Phillips and fellow divers found eight
pint bottles. When they surfaced, the cork in one bottle popped and
Phillips gave it a taste. "The first thing I noticed was the very strong
smell of hops. It certainly didn't put me off, so I took a swig," he
said. It was then estimated that the bottle might we worth $1,600. We'll
on find out April 29 at the Pembrokeshire Shipwreck Auction in
Pembrokeshire, West Wales. The proceeds will go to finance this year's
Adventurous Divers Club projects. The beer is a light ale brewed in the
Glasgow area, and there will be no minimum bid. For more information,
write jimphilj at aol.com.