BVC - Guild?

Spence & Robin Mabry smabry at flash.net
Tue Apr 4 19:14:44 PDT 2000

Okay, I've waited until I saw how other people responded before I did.  most of you may not know me (except for those who live in the Elfsea area), so first, let me introduce myself.  I am Ceatta o'Gulcleth, mundanely known as Spence Mabry, and I've been brewing here for 5 years and in Caerthe (Denver, CO, for the mundanely challenged) for 2 years.  last year I had the misfortune of being the director of the Bluebonnet competition and for the last two year, the coordinator of the Elfsea SpringFaire Brewing Competition.  'Nuff said about that.  Below are my comments to Pug's questions.

Ceatta

If there is a guild, it should provide its members with contacts to help them brew as well as information on period brewing.  It should also coordinate with the other kingdoms brewers guilds so that, at some point, we can have (possibly) a SCA-wide standard on brewing competitions.  Also, what I'd like to see is a way to adapt modern brewing techniques to period processes.

>  2) What should the members provide to the guild?

Knowledge, information, experience, help.  There is nothing worse than being a brewer out on your own, not knowing if what you're doing is right.  I offer my library (mostly modern stuff) to any who wants to use it (and I hope to soon put a chunk of it on-line for those who want it).

>  3) What should Local and Kingdom guilds provide to each other?

Same as # 2.  The only problem I see is that we must make sure that the local guilds remain autonomous and let to develop themselves, but if they want to associate with the Kingdom guild, that is their privilege (sort of like mundane homebrew clubs associating with the AHA, BJCP, and MCAP).

>  4) What should *not* happen in the above?

Over-bureaucracy and over-stringent rules.  This is a hobby, after all, so let's remember to make it fun!

>  5) What can we do to promote brewing, vintning and cordialing with or
>     without a guild?

Hold more competitions, hold more classes, tastings, informative lectures, anything that can spread the wealth around.  right now, homebrew clubs are declining because of inter-strife, over-zealous members, rules and other crap that really doesn't belong.  (I just dropped out of my local group for a lot of the same reasons, plus I want to pursue an interest of mine -- medieval brewing -- and most of them want OT adhere to AHA/BJCP styles).

>  I know we've talked about it in the past, but we have new blood here
>  and it's been a while. I'd like to get the brewing webpage I started
>  way back when more current and with more information from other
>  people. (http://bvc.ansteorra.org) It's not been touched in a while
>  and I think it could be useful to us and other "bvc" people.

I agree.  And I'll do whatever I can to help.
>Ciao,

>--
>Phelim "Pug" Gervase   | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is

Another thing.  I'd like to see us have a kingdom wide brewing competition.  I want (for reasons I can't begin to understand) to make Elfsea SpringFaire the Kingdom Brewing Competition.  That was one idea I had as I was thinking about being baron, and I have the support of both the outgoing and incoming barons.  If we can settle on categories and what belongs in each category, then I would like to see this happen.  Pug, can we try and get a poll on this?  Not for this year, but for next year, maybe.  In the spring, most people (i.e., brewers) have got ready their brews.  We could have some "regional" brewing competitions around them kingdom, end up as a grand finale at SpringFaire.  And I am willing to be the coordinator of such a competition ( and I'll draft my wife as well, she's use to this).

I am coordinating the brewing competition this year, but I probably won't be judging, since I have said that you can't judge a category that you have entered, and I am entering most categories (except cider, maybe -- depends on how it turns out).  So I would also like to hear from more people about the competition than I have so far.  Drop me a line or go to the web site and then contact me.  In fact, I will be making a few changes (based on comments) tomorrow at work and posting them tomorrow night.  I will also just email the list with the whole thing again tomorrow after I make the changes.

Remember, brewing is fun and a hobby -- let's keep it that way and make it period, too!

In service and in wort,
Lord Ceatta o'Gulcleth, COT, CST, CEP
(and other good rubbish)