BVC - Guild?

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 4 19:37:27 PDT 2000

Spence & Robin Mabry wrote:

> Okay, I've waited until I saw how other people responded before I did.  most of you may not know me (except for those who live in the Elfsea area), so first, let me introduce myself.  I am Ceatta o'Gulcleth,

Hey Ceatta!

Does Elfsea have a guild?  If not, want to get together for brewing days/evenings?  I'm originally from Bryn Gwlad, and it's lonely up here by myself.  ;<   I'm in Glaslyn (Denton).

> It should also coordinate with the other kingdoms brewers guilds so that, at some point, we can have (possibly) a SCA-wide standard on brewing competitions.

The only problem I see with that is that we had been making an effort to learn about and conform to Kingdom standards.  Has anyone else seen the new judging forms?  I like!

>  Also, what I'd like to see is a way to adapt modern brewing techniques to period processes.

Take time out of your busy schedule and talk to Ox at Springfaire.  He loves to natter about beer and processes.  ;>

> Another thing.  I'd like to see us have a kingdom wide brewing competition.  I want (for reasons I can't begin to understand) to make Elfsea SpringFaire the Kingdom Brewing Competition.

Cool!!!  I'm for it.  Do you need help?

>  We could have some "regional" brewing competitions around them kingdom, end up as a grand finale at SpringFaire.  And I am willing to be the coordinator of such a competition ( and I'll draft my wife as well, she's use to this).

What would we do for the central region?  Hold two?    Personally, I'd rather just see one or two big competitions a year.  I mean, more is better, but I'm not into the formalized rounds of competition style of things.

BTW, assuming my canton agrees, I am going to hold a small tasting/competition (depending on how many people bring stuff) at Glaslyn's next mini-tourney, which is May 21 if memory serves me.  If I get agreement from the group, I'll post a formal invitation.  ;>  If it isn't then, it will be in September.

-Magdalena