BVC - Guild?

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 5 08:38:27 PDT 2000

    1) What should a Kingdom guild provide to its members?

 a place for people to share a commonality and to find answers to questions
that others have asked and others may have an answer to (grin)  Research
posibilities.  It allows projects, eveents, workshops and classes to garner
a little more respect.  The guild also can, at times, assist individuals by
being a support group.  I.E. The current work being done on the legality of
wine for cooking purposes.  Protection, people in a group can often be more
affective as a group rather than individuals.  And it's fun to have a group
of people to sit around and talk to abot things of a similar interest.

>>   2) What should the members provide to the guild?
	If they are in a guild and are being functional within that guild
then it's what the guild needs from them and they need from the guild.  I
think that as in every other facet of the SCA you have more active people
with less active people.

>>   3) What should Local and Kingdom guilds provide to each other?
	I don't know if the one needs to be linked with the other....The
Kingdom newsletter stands alone as do the local newsletter... The closest
thing I can figure is dissemination of information and a place to encourage
membership.

>> 4) What should *not* happen in the above?
 	Too much management and too much control. Nothing.

>>   5) What can we do to promote brewing, vintning and cordialing with or
>>      without a guild?
 	Not be uppity.  Don't develop secret languages.  Share information.
Help new people get started, drink and brew.  Research and write.  Hold
classes and workshops.... Have fun...
'

I say this as someone who has watched the Arts get too structured.  I think
a Kingdom level Guild is good but remember that too much control cripples a
tree from growing in an interesting and beautiful pattern.  I'd rather a
bent tree with character than a straight tree with no soul.

Clare