BVC - Guild followup....

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at compaq.com
Thu Apr 6 11:08:37 PDT 2000

I am sorry that I have not responded more quickly but it has
been a busy couple of days.

>  1) What should a Kingdom guild provide to its members?

Community.  I think the real goal should be to establish
a network of individuals who can help one another improve our
craft.  This should include a list of who brews what, who has
what equipment, who can provide training, who can give good
feedback, etc.

>  2) What should the members provide to the guild?

I think I have answered it above. We should be available
to help within the limits of our resources, capabilities,
and areas of expertise.

>  3) What should Local and Kingdom guilds provide to each other?

Almost the same question again.  I would like to see more
standardization but I am not sure that I like the IKBG stuff.
I have posted here before on style definitions, etc.  more later.

>  4) What should *not* happen in the above?

I REALLY dislike the whole idea of guild presented titles like
"Master Brewer" etc.  I think we already have an award system
in place to recognize the artisans and craftsmen.  As a group
we need to make sure that we recommend people for Thistles,
Irises, etc.

>  5) What can we do to promote brewing, vintning and cordialing
>  with or without a guild?

Primarily make sure you are available and it is known you are
available to help people brew.  Make sure that on your groups
web pages, and within each and every monthly newsletter there
is a note like.

"For Brewing/Vintning contact Lord Eadric at 281-356-5220"

This doesn't mean that there needs to be formally regularly
scheduled local guild meetings but just that there needs to
be published contact information so that something can be
arranged.

If you have semi-formal local guild with a person defined as
the guild principal make sure that they send something about
the guild happenings to your local MOAS to be included in
their monthly reports.  If there  is no formal guild then
when you brew personally send a blurb to the  local MOAS.
Usually the MOAS is looking for things to include in
their report.

Include everyone. Locally our semi-formal brewing guild trys
to get together once a month.  The brew-it usually turns into
a do-it with some people brewing, some working on armor, some
ladies sewing, etc.  When you consider the time it takes to brew
there is plenty of time for other things to go on.

Share homebrew.  The monthly officers/planning meeting in
Gates Edge is held at my home and I always make sure I have
a keg of something to share.  Usually, those interested
retire to the brewery after the meeting and we sample something
else. Anytime you can share homebrew with your populace.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
  _____

Scott Mills