BVC - Judging, standards, and competitions

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 16:16:18 PDT 2000

Magdalena

>As I understand it, as of right now, only sites which allow alcohol for
tasting
>purposes and live steel for judging purposes are considered acceptable.  It's
>along the same lines as having enough space for all the tables and a place
for
>performance.  (Clare?  Raisya? Did I get it more or less correct?)

Yes, at least for KA&S, LPT and King's College, and she's pretty adamant
about it. I'm afraid not much can be done about having some local
competitions at dry sites.  Just look at them like themed competitions for
the rest of the static artisans, sometimes your art form just doesn't "fit"
(mine almost never fit theme competitions).  Or maybe dry site competitions
would be the right place for a piece of research or a non-alcoholic drink you
wanted to try?

Also, I saw some remarks about "mail-in" entries.  That's entirely up to the
_individual_ running the competition, but most groups do not want a winner
who's not even at the event, and most judges are not comfortable evaluating
someone they can't speak to directly if necessary.  However, if you are just
interested in a wider range of comment, many groups WILL let you send a
display for "comment only".

Raisya