BVC - Judging, standards, and competitions

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at compaq.com
Thu Apr 6 20:13:03 PDT 2000

>As I understand it, as of right now, only sites which allow
> alcohol for tasting purposes and live steel for judging purposes are
>considered acceptable.  It's along the same lines as having enough space
> for all the tables and a place for performance.
>(Clare?  Raisya? Did I get it more or less correct?)
>
> Yes, at least for KA&S, LPT and King's College, and she's
> pretty adamant about it. I'm afraid not much can be done about having
>some local competitions at dry sites.  Just look at them like themed
> competitions for the rest of the static artisans, sometimes your art
> form just doesn't "fit" (mine almost never fit theme competitions).  Or
> maybe dry site competitions would be the right place for a piece of
> research or a non-alcoholic drink you wanted to try?

This is REALLY great I hope it works out as planned and the appropriate
sites can be found.  I am certainly in favor.

>and most judges are not comfortable evaluating
> someone they can't speak to directly if necessary.
  ^^^^^^^

This seems absolutely true of the SCA competitions I have encountered.  In
non-SCA competitions you NEVER talk to the brewer about the beer until the
competition is over.  The sensory analysis portions are all held as Blind
Tastings.  The point is that you are not evaluating "someone" but
rather a non-biased evaluation of the beverage.

> However, if you are just
> interested in a wider range of comment, many groups WILL let
> you send a display for "comment only".

To me there is a HUGE and crucial difference in a "display" event and a
Sensory Analysis session.  The sensory evaluation of a beverage by people
with educated palates is something distinctly different than the viewing of
an A&S display or the evaluation of the quality and validity of the
resources and the re-creation of a period beverage.

Regards,

Eadric