BVC - Re: BVC: Meade instructions for beginners (fwd)

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Tue Feb 8 12:34:36 PST 2000

Hamlin, I have read reports that some of the Sam's honey is in fact doped
with Corn syrup, so I'd probably avoid it. Albertsons has some good stuff
at just over $1/lb and we are using that.

Jean Paul

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com
http://www.nomadics.com

On Tuesday, February 08, 2000 1:24 PM, Collectively Unconscious
[SMTP:swarm at warpcore.provalue.net] wrote:
> [...]
> stopper at the end and the stiff tube exactly the right length will solve
> some headaches at racking time. Otherwise, clear water tubing can be had
> at any hardware store.
>
> water jug. Glass is preferred, but I have used plastic before with out
any
> difficulty. Ox has a line on glass in Tulsa. The problem with glass is it
> can break. The problem with plastic is it can flavor things and it picks
> up flavors.
>
> Eventually you'll want a bottle brush to wash your bottle with.
>
> A soup pot for boiling in. Not bare aluminum.
>
> Rubber bands, a clean vegitable plastic bag, plastic wrap, a dark cool
> place (where the smell of mead won't be a problem, ie not your closet).
> A skimmer or spoon. 5 empty 1 gal. water jugs.
>
> Directions
>
> NOTE (some of these ideas are new - be flexable)
>
> using a 2.5 gallon soup pot -
> Take 1 gallon water and bring to a boil and 7 lbs honey and stirring
> constantly (or it will scortch on the bottom) bring back to a boil and
> then reduce the fire to a simmer. White scum will raise (unless you've
got
> highly processed honey). Skim and discard scum while stirring.
>
> Be CAREFUL! boiling hot honey water can burn and stick. Don't go above a
> simmer. Pour in the sink or bath tub. Get an extra set of hands to help.
>
> Pour the skimmed honey water into a couple water jugs and set them aside
> to cool. (if you bath tub is full of tap to about 3/4 the jug's hight
they
> will cool faster sitting there) Clean an empty honey container and pour
> some of the honey water in there. When that is room tem, att the yeast to
> it to get them started. Repeat the skimming and cooling until annd the
> honey has benn processes. (Note: you actually want slightly less than 5
> gallons to leave air space at the top of your container.
>
> So you now have 5ish skimmed, cooled jugs of honey water and one honey
jar
> with some mucky looking stuff and maybe a bubble or two.
>
> Pour the muck stuff in your 5 gal jug. Pour the honey water on top,
> leaving a couple inches at the top. place a double layer of plastic wrap
> on top and secure it with a rubber band. Place the unused vegitable bag
> over that and secure it with a second rubber band below where the first
> rubber band is. Place the whole bit on a towel you don't like and leave
it
> completely unmolested in your cool dark spot.
>
> This next bit is where most people mess up.
>
> Wait.
>
> Every so often, say once a month, you check it and see muddy tan liquid
> bubbling away.
>
> Wait and wait and wait.
>
> Oh my God! Its clear liquid sitting on top of a layer of mud. Six months
> to a year have gone by. Much rejoicing! Syphon off the liquid (remember
> those 1 gallon jugs from before?). Wash the jug. Have a taste. YUCK!
Green