BVC - Re: BVC: Meade instructions for beginners (fwd)

Chuck_CTR_Graves@mmacmail.jccbi.gov Chuck_CTR_Graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Wed Feb 9 08:44:41 PST 2000

>> You know I have to ask this:
>>     What is the definition of "traditional"?

>Water, honey, yeast. No additives.
>I tend to mistrust the 16th century trend to call anything with honey
>mead.

Isn't that like mistrusting us now. Beer is beer (stout to pale ale to lager).
They simply used the general category. We do the same with wine...

The definitions for mead, metheglin, melomel, and pymeth, are modern. We're the
ones that decided standardization and classification are necessary.

>I lean towards long. Short I'd throw more into the beer cross breeds.

Careful where you throw short meads...they could explode.  8^)

...and now I'm a cross-breed. Of course, I don't see how using water, honey,
yeast, and a few herbs, yields a beer.

>Mild sweet to sweet, but again short of 16th century trends towards suryp.
>When working with a substance that derives its flavor mainly from its
>sugars, I find the concept of a dry mead to be an oxymoron.

I agree with your palate but the 16th century recipes (so far) haven't tended to
be syrup...or medicinal.

As for the oxymoron, I tend to disagree considering the dramatically different
flavors of honey...especially when making simple meads.

I need to resurrect a couple of classes on honeys and their affects on mead. It
makes for a fun tasting session.