BVC - low alcohol meads

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 12:56:37 PST 2000

Carl Chipman wrote:

> Sulfite allergies are common enough that I worry bout it.

I agree.  I have several friends with the problem.  I sometimes use them at the
very beginning of a fruit wine that I'm cold processing, but not often even
then.  Unfortunately, unless the yeast people do us the favor of breeding less
alcohol tolerant yeast, chemicals and heat seem to be the only answer to a
semi-sweet low alcohol mead.   Hmmm....  Has anyone tried chilling to drop yeast
out of suspension and then racking at the beginning of secondary fermentation?

-Magdalena