BVC - Boiling honey and pasteurization.

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at compaq.com
Wed Feb 9 14:49:51 PST 2000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: cchipman at nomadics.com [mailto:cchipman at nomadics.com]
>
> now now, condescension is tacky.... :-)

OUCH.  I hope it didn't come off that way.  Just enjoying a spirited
discussion and some list traffic.

> seriously Scott, what kind of water to honey ratio to you
> have to use to
> get the temporature to what you think you need.  I admit to
> doing somthing
> very similar to your process, but when I do it I come out at
> about 130
> degrees F. Obviously I am not using enough hot water, but
> what ratio of
> boiling water to honey (say gallons/lb) do you need to do the
> voodoo that
> you do?

Basically I am boiling about 3 and half gallons of water and adding about 5
quarts or 15 lbs. of honey.  That's my basic mead.  Obviously less water if
more honey.  After the honey is in I will add enough water boiled separately
to get my volume to the full 5 gallons.

A lot of the resulting strike temp probably was to do with the thermal mass
of the pot and the cooker that it is sitting on.  A big thick heavy pot or a
15 gallon converted keg has a lot of thermal mass.  Likewise, the starting
temp of the honey will affect strike temp.  My honey has usually already
been sitting in a basin of warm water to make it pour more easily.

Regards,

Eadric
  _____

Scott Mills
Scott.Mills at Compaq.Com <mailto:Scott.Mills at Compaq.Com>