BVC - Character of varietal honey

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at compaq.com
Wed Feb 9 15:27:05 PST 2000

I have done presentations in the past where we compared the tastes of as
many different varietal honeys as possible.  It is amazing how many people
aren't aware of the glorious range of honey flavors, aromas, colors, and
textures.

At the most recent presentation (now almost two years past) I had about 16
different varietal honeys.  If possible I try to have meads made from those
floral sources but that is usually difficult to find that many varietal
meads.

The honey is presented as undiluted raw honey with some small coffee stirrer
straws so that it can be tasted and also as diluted honey with 1 cup of
honey diluted with water to a one quart volume.  Often in the diluted honey
it is easier to taste subtle characters because it is not as coating and
cloying.

Current plans are to do the same presentation of honeys at the Canton of
Gates Edge brewing guild meeting in May.  If any of you are within driving
distance of greater Stargate please consider joining us.  No date has been
firmly set at this time but we usually shoot for the first weekend unless
there is a conflicting event held nearby. We will be hold the day long event
at my home in Pinehurst.  I will be happy to provide crash space as needed.

I'll post a note to the list when we have a date set.

Regards,

Eadric
  _____

Scott Mills