BVC - Stabilizing meads and wines, Sulfites, heat, filters

OxladeMac@aol.com OxladeMac at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 17:30:26 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/10/00 2:54:14 PM Central Standard Time,
Scott.Mills at compaq.com writes:

<< It can effect he flavor or aroma if there is a yeasty flavor or aroma from
 suspended yeast or if there is fruit pulp contributing to flavor, aroma or
 mouthfeel.  It won't change the flavor from honey, fruit juices, or spices.

 I have used it a couple of times to make Krystal Weiss and it worked well
 for this also but for other beer I have never bothered to filter.

Like I said, I look upon the filter as the "holy grail" to mead makers!  As
long as you're not making a melomel or something that will be filtered out, a
half micron filter seems like the best way to once-and-for-all rid your brew
of the beasties.  Of course, this is from someone who is still dreaming of
owning a filter  :)