BVC - questions...

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 19:39:52 PST 2000

Hi!

    I'm looking through an ancient and venerable winemaking
book, and I've ended up with a few questions.  (_First Steps
in Winemaking_ CJJ Berry)

1)  What's a Mangold?

2)  If I was going to add barley to a wine should I use the
barley I use in soup, or the roasted, malted stuff Ox uses
for beer?

3)  Can anyone tell me the calculation for converting metric
to U.S. pounds so that I can verify that the amounts are
correct?  (He lists British lbs, metric, & US lbs)

4)  I have a very active yeast culture going in my house.
(My orange syrup recipe would apparently make a great soda
or wine.  ;>)  I'm thinking about using a sherry yeast in a
batch soon.  How much of a sherry taste will that impart to
my batches in the future?

5)  Has anyone made clove wine?  How did it turn out?  Was
is a cooking wine or a drinking one?

and finally,

6)  Has anyone tried a hop wine?

-Magdalena the bored bottle washer