BVC - RE: [SCA_Brew] questions...

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at compaq.com
Fri Feb 11 00:52:24 PST 2000

Dunno please let me know what you find.

> 2)  If I was going to add barley to a wine should I use the
> barley I use in soup, or the roasted, malted stuff Ox uses
> for beer?

You should probably use the malted kind that Ox uses for brewing but NOT the
roasted kind.

The malting process develops the enzymes that will allow for the conversion
of the starches in the grains into sugar.  Yeast cant do anything with
starch so if you have unmalted barley you will have unfermented starches in
your final product.

Then when you mash you put these enzymes to work for you actually converting
the starches into sugar by making a thick barley gruel and holding the temp
at about 155F for an hour or so making sure that to never let the temp get
above 168F or so because that will actually destroy the needed enzymes and
then the starches wont convert.  After the mashing you rinse the grain with
warm clean water to wash the sugars out and catch the runnings for your
brew.   Lots of science in malting/mashing.

The base malt for most recipes is very pale.  Just a few ounces of the dark
roasted stuff goes a LONG way.  There are some "amber" type of malts like
Vienna or Munich malts that aren't considered "pale" but they are not
roasted just kilned at a higher temperature.  Dark malts have no sugars in
them to ferment they just add flavor, aroma, character, etc.

> 3)  Can anyone tell me the calculation for converting metric
> to U.S. pounds so that I can verify that the amounts are
> correct?  (He lists British lbs, metric, & US lbs)

When you say metric to US pounds I assume you mean Kilograms to US pounds.

1 kg = 2.2046 lbs

> 4)  I have a very active yeast culture going in my house.
> (My orange syrup recipe would apparently make a great soda
> or wine.  ;>)  I'm thinking about using a sherry yeast in a
> batch soon.  How much of a sherry taste will that impart to
> my batches in the future?

Very active yeast culture in yer house?  Lemme see if I am getting this
right.  After I live in a house and brew for a couple of years I get a very
active yeast culture in the house of "wild" or at the very least escaped
yeasts.  Food in the fridge seems to ferment spontaneously and I cant keep
leftovers or orange juice or milk very long.  Is that what you mean?

As far as the sherry yeast goes I think that it is just one of countless
wine yeasts.  The real sherry character comes not from the yeast but from
the way the wine is aged and handled.  When you brew make sure you grow up a
nice healthy pure starter of the yeast strain that you want to ferment with.
That healthy starter you pitch should over power anything else that might
stray into the mix.

> 5)  Has anyone made clove wine?  How did it turn out?  Was
> is a cooking wine or a drinking one?

Nope haven't tried to make a clove anything.  Not a big clove fan.

> and finally,
>
> 6)  Has anyone tried a hop wine?

Never had a hopped wine but I have had hopped meads.  Its a valid herb to
use in a Metheglin and in fact documentable in period.  There is a period
mead recipe with hops in  "Ein Buch von guter spise" which was originally
dated around 1350.

All of the hopped meads that I thought were OK where lightly hopped with
noble style hops.  The horrible ones where way over hopped with you typical
American style high-alpha hops.  I haven't had any that I thought were
outstanding but I remain hopeful.

Regards,

Eadric