BVC - Northern Regional Tribute...

Collectively Unconscious swarm at warpcore.provalue.net
Wed Jan 19 10:10:30 PST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, N.D. Wederstrandt wrote:

> My personal view is that most of the brewers I know don't seem to be
> treated seriously by the majority of those who determine awards and
> recognition.  They view drinking as fun, but the act of brewing seems to
> fall in the realm of not so artsy and not so sciencey... A great number of
> people seem to treat it as a secondary skill.  (Hmmmm, that's actually
> somewhat period in some situations especially for women...)  and tend to
> blow it off.  Plus with the added problem of less wet sites... that also is
> a problem.....

There is also a demographics problem. It wasn't that long ago that there
were no laurels who were seen as brewers in this kingdom and very few
irises. In fact when I got my iris I can't think of any other active
irises in that area. The kingdom laurels at that time, and probably
still, were cliquish and highly inbread making it nigh impossible for new
fields to break into the circle. Since laurels and irises tend to do the
judging and influence the royalty, it creates a glass ceiling that
re-inforces their perceptions about what is good A&S. "Entertainers" have
faced the same difficulties.

That said, it seems there has been some progress made.

Hamlin