[Bvc] Cordialing Spirit of Choice

Chuck Graves ld_tadhg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 29 07:44:57 PDT 2007

Greetings,

My experience is that you go with your preference. Brandy and vodka have
very distinctly different characteristics...if you are not partial the taste
and feel of brandy, you will find your cordial is much the same -- probably
not to your liking.

I, for one, use grain alcohol as a start to produce something as close to
period as possible...160 to 180 proof range. Never use Everclear (or other
190 proof alcohols) as they retain an annoying flavor that reduces your
cordial to a poorly made Everclear drink -- blame it on the esthers.

In general, vodka is good but be aware of the amount of non-alcoholic liquid
you introduce into the mixture. For example, frozen strawberries can
introduce enough liquid volume to lower the alcoholic content to a
fermentable level...believe me, this is experience speaking! To avoid
exploding cordials, I began using grain alcohol -- Golden Grain and Clear
Spring are two alcohols I like -- whether entirely as the alcohol or as a
50-50 mix for the vodka.

One last thing, go ahead and use good vodka...especially on lighter
flavors...you aren't going to make this in huge quantities and it's well
worth the extra money for a good result.

Enjoy.

By the way, Gorm, where are you located?
...Brick by brick