[Bvc] Cordialing Spirit of Choice

embroidery at penpoint.biz embroidery at penpoint.biz
Mon Jul 30 11:29:07 PDT 2007

Well, I go back and forth between Vodka and Brandy.  With a heavy honey
(buckwheat) as the base for the simple sugar, brandy has no equal - the
smoky (buckwheat) fruity (brandy) flavor lingers on the tounge.  For
lighter flavors, like a raspberry, I prefer Vodka.  I also like to use
Vodka for its burn properties in my chili cordials.

I know you didn't ask but both vodka (wheat, not potatoe) and brandy are
period and were used in medicinal cordials.  Rum, also period, never
traveled far from the sugar plantations, being a by-product of sugar
production.  Being so localized, no one that I have met knows if it was
used in cordial productions within period.

As a side note, for my chocolate-banana cordial, I use Banana 99 as the
base.  I tried making a banana coridal once, but discovered that banana
actually goes bad as a coridial in about 6 months (sooner if exposed to
light) - it takes just over 5 months to get reasonably clear with multiple
rackings.

Ever a Servant,

Prudence the Curious