[Bvc] Bvc Digest, Vol 4, Issue 4

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Jul 30 14:35:20 PDT 2007

Geneva Tanner wrote:
> I am a maker of cordials and have been told on numerous occasions that
> vodka is not period. could you please send me the documentation of
> that. I have tired to enter into a A&S compitition but was told I
> could not win because I used vodka. :-) I will beg if I need to (giggle)
>
> Lady Gwen Makewin

I have always heard that Brandies, distilled meads, Whiskey, Vodka, and
Rum are all period.

Here is a neat page that I have referred people to several times. (it
could use a better bibliography)

http://alexreisner.com/spirits

I think it can be argued that Potato Vodka was not period.  Europeans
didn't even see the potato until 1540 and there is no evidence of it
being brought to Europe until 1565 and it did not make it to Vodka
producing countries until well post-period.

In period Vodka was made usually from rye or wheat as some of the best
(arguably the best) vodkas are today.

Regards,

Eadric Anstapa
eadric at scabrewer.com