[Bvc] The happy vinters home...

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Thu Sep 4 05:53:48 PDT 2008

I've been thinking about trying my hand at a traditional English ale
from the 13th century, perhaps using a wooden barrel for the job.  But
that will take quite some time before I'm ready.  Meanwhile, I've been
able to keep on track with my goal to start at least one new batch of
mead every month, starting back in April.  I'm a little short on 5
gallon carboys, so for July and August I used my two 6.5 gallon carboys
to start 7 gallon batches.  I'll buy some more 5s for September.

Recently, when I racked the two batches I started in May, the flavor
seemed a little weak.  They were brewed with my normal 3 pounds per
gallon ratio.  Because I used the same honey for my August mead, I
increased it to 4 pounds per gallon.  It can't hurt to have more honey,
because plenty of people like really sweet mead and there's always the
option of watering the wine.  But if I add honey, that starts the
fermentation cycle all over again and sets the timer back to zero.  I
don't really want to do this.  Perhaps some real age will round out the
flavor - any thoughts?

The problems with May's meads is disappointing because I'm using them to
conduct an experiment on the difference between boiling and pasteurizing.

  Miles Grey