CR - No P-word for now!

Rita Menzie rita at slideguy.com
Mon Jan 26 07:31:26 PST 1998

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> Galen here...
> <snip>
> We must decide whether we're going to be a community
> (I use "community" to mean the same concept I think
> Amra was getting at when he said "fully-functioning
> region").  Whether I have the resources to stir from
> my routine and go to Graywood and help out there or
> not, I need to decide whether their problems are mine.
> We must each face this question, and answer it for
> ourselves.  Some will choose to focus on their own
> enjoyment or development in their chosen pursuits.
> Some will choose to focus on their local group, or
> on the Kingdom as a whole.  And some of us will
> decide we want to take responsibility for the
> development of our region into a community, even
> if it's never to become a principality.

The "we" you are talking about does not exist, Galen.  You can decide
that you want to put your energy into building a community, I and many
others may also, and by example inspire others, but clearly there is no
"we"  yet .  I believe that is what Amra meant when he suggested that
the region is not ready.  In the mean time I plan on attending as many
out of town events as I can with the intent of not only supporting those
groups, but of doing what I came into the SCA to do; learn, have fun and
make friends.  I am willing to participate in demos outside of my Barony
as long as my mundane schedule cooperates.  I am willing to participate
and teach what  I know to other members.

> Those of us who do decide to take responsiblity
> for our central community, must then consider what
> we can do to help the branches in need, and what
> of that will actually do any good.  The demo team
> idea would be the easiest to do; count me in.

>  I am willing to participate in demos outside of my Barony as long as
> my mundane schedule cooperates.  I am willing to participate and teach
> what  I know to other members.

> Holding regional events would be much harder.  We'd
> need a _lot_ of support and from many quarters.
> And it would require someone(s) determined to
> make it happen.  It would need the leadership
> I've spoken of.

> <snip>
>
> With the right people, it could work.  I think.

The key to everything in this and every endeavor of its kind...

--
Lissette de Meyners
Steppes Historian
rita at slideguy.com