CR - Principality

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jan 27 12:29:57 PST 1998

>> Galen, herein lies one of the basic disagreements in the arguments
>> for and against seeking an advance in status for the Region. While I
>> certainly respect those who wear or have worn Crown or Coronet, I
>> don't make the leap to supporting the concept that these same
>> individuals are necessarily the best leaders. They just happen to
>> have been the folk with enough martial prowess in single combat to
>> attain victory upon a given day and in a particular tournament.
>> Based upon several examples within the history of the SCA, some of
>> which are part of Ansteorran history, I *can't* make a very good
>> case for what I see as your position here.
>
>The advantage we'd have with a Prince is that we'd have a leader
>whose right to stand up say "go that way!" is unquestioned.  I
>think I have a pretty good idea of who most of our Princes would
>be for the first couple of years at least, and I think we'd do
>pretty well.  But even so, a bad Prince for six months would
>be better, I think, than the no leadership our region has had
>these several years.

Actually, I feel that even more than someone to lead, a Coronet would
be the "Rallying flag". They would be the symbol that people could look
upon and see that they really are part of a separate and cohesive group.
As Gerard showed at the meeting, the Central Region is this amorphous
group of Shires and Baronies that aren't quite sure where the boundries
lie. They know they are a tiny part of this huge Kingdom called Ansteorra
but they feel small and insignificant. A Coronet would be there to let
them know they are needed for an area they can conceive.

Everything in Ansteorra has been done. Part of the lack of "fun" that
was mentioned is the fact that there seems to be nothing more to do
other than maintain "time-honored" traditions that others have done
before.

Forgive me but I feel that a lot of Ansteorra has become stale. I feel
that one of the reasons people have been leaving the SCA for other, newer
groups is because they feel they can create and change things. I, even as
a Peer, feel tiny and insignificant within the huge Kingdom. Imagine how
a new member in a small shire feels.

Yers,

Gunthar