CR - Reasons

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Jan 27 14:33:58 PST 1998

Galen here!

Pulling no punches, Sir Gunthar (Michael F. Gunter) wrote:

> Okay, now that I've said some nice reasons why a Central Principality would be
> a good idea. Let's go into some of the "motives" on why certain people are so
> for this. This is some of the things people may be wondering behind their hands
> so let's get things in the open. After all, a true discussion means putting ALL
> the cards on the table.
>
> First, some of the reasons I'm against a Principality:
>
> 1. I think putting a Principality in the MIDDLE of a Kingdom is a Bad Thing (tm).
>
> I know that it would be adjoining Meredies on one part, but having Ansteorra proper
> surround three sides just seems strange.

Strange?  Is that all?  The Principality of the Sun was the main
population center
of Atenveldt through most of its history.  Today, all that's left of
Atenveldt is
what used to be called the Principality of the Sun.  (The Sun was
dissolved last
summer when the kingdom's borders shrank to match those of the
principality.)
The Principality of the Mists (the San Francisco Bay area) is right in
the middle
of the mainland West Kingdom.  It's only strange if we intend to become
a seperate
kingdom.

> 2. As was pointed out, couple who is having problems should not get married to
> make things better. If the Region is shaky, how could the Principality be strong?

A wise knight, for whom I have immense respect,

<Galen wrote:>
> >The advantage we'd have with a Prince is that we'd have a leader
> >whose right to stand up say "go that way!" is unquestioned.  I
> >think I have a pretty good idea of who most of our Princes would
> >be for the first couple of years at least, and I think we'd do
> >pretty well.  But even so, a bad Prince for six months would
> >be better, I think, than the no leadership our region has had
> >these several years.

<and Sir Gunthar wisely replied:>
> Actually, I feel that even more than someone to lead, a Coronet would
> be the "Rallying flag". They would be the symbol that people could look
> upon and see that they really are part of a separate and cohesive group.
> As Gerard showed at the meeting, the Central Region is this amorphous
> group of Shires and Baronies that aren't quite sure where the boundries
> lie. They know they are a tiny part of this huge Kingdom called Ansteorra
> but they feel small and insignificant. A Coronet would be there to let
> them know they are needed for an area they can conceive.

<Gunthar continues with the post I'm presently answering:>
> 3. It could make other areas decide to break off from Ansteorra as well. Ansteorra
> could become just the Coastal, Southern, and Western regions plus the
> Principalities of the North and Central. Would this be good or bad?

I think it would be good.  The Crown would have more time to spend on
the Coastal and Western Regions, which greatly lack much royal attention
or attendance most of the time.  And don't be too surprised to see a
Southern Regional Principality, either.

Multiple principalities could be fun.  Chances for wars or other
competitions, melee events, big units at Gulf War, and so on.
Making a region into a principality is no more "breaking off"
from Ansteorra than is making a shire into a barony.

> Now, let's get on to the nasty underbelly of what people may be thinking....
>
> What are the "motives" behind those who are in favor of this Principality thing?
>
> Is this "Big Fish, Little Pond" syndrome? Do those who are pushing for this only
> wanting power they can't seem to get in the Kingdom?
>
> Hoo! I think I'll walk out on that plank and say, "In some ways, yes."
> And I'm not going to take any "Not me! I'm in this for my love of the Kingdom/
> Region!" stuff either!

A little bit.  I think it would be less work to be a leader at
principality level
than at kingdom level, just because of lesser travel times and phone
bills.
I can be a leader at kingdom level.  Been there, done that.  Probably
will
do so again.  Like Gunthar said in his previous post, I think it would
be
fun to do something new.

I'd love to be able to make my lady a Viscountess.  I said this last
year
when I was opposing the principality proposal.  Not that I think I'd
have
such an easy time with the Coronet Tourney; I know how I compare to the
other
fighters around here.

> Now is this bad? What would those who work their petooties off get should this
> area becomes a Principality?
>
> Well Galen, Gerard, myself and a couple of other fighters have a change of winning
> a Coronet list. That would make Viscount Galen a Viscount, Count Gerard would
> become a Count, okay I would benefit and get a shiny new hat. We would also get
> a bit of power that we don't have in the Kingdom or region right now. Yep, I admit
> it. And I wonder if that power is that much compensation for the headaches that
> will accompany whoever becomes the Coronet for the first few years.

My experience was that being a Prince was a very difficult and stressful
thing,
with inherent rewards that didn't then equal the rewards.  Over the
years, though,
it's neat to look back and see little things I did that have grown.  One
lady I
gave an AoA to, Mistress Eowyn, recently got her laurel and became our
regional
seneschal.  One person whose first SCA event was the Coronet Tourney I
presided
over (at Burg Frankenstein), is the knight whose posting I'm replying to
now.
Their achievements aren't mine, but it's neat to have been a part of
their histories,
just as Finn Kelly and John the Bearkiller are part of mine.  I'm glad
to have
been a prince.

> Richard Fairborne would probably be able to become a Principality Seneschal and
> eventually a Pelican. But looking at the work that he's doing right now I can
> see him becoming a Kingdom Seneschal and eventually a Pelican.

Agree.

> Same with Galen, oh wait, he's already been there done that.

Galen enjoys playing with SCA laws. I think it'd be fun to write the
first
laws of our new principality.  He enjoys heraldic design, too.

> Amra probably has visions of First Principality Bard or Seneschal or somesuch
> dancing in his head.
>
> And the truth of the matter is that these visions aren't too far off the mark of
> reality.
>
> But the people in the other groups who are not aspiring to the office of Regional
> Whatnot may aspire to the office of Principality Whatnot. They may not feel they
> have a chance to become Kingdom and Regional sounds so banal.
>
> Will people personally gain from the formation of a Principality? Certainly!
> Does it really matter? Not really.

I think it matters.  I think creating that opportunity is a compelling
reason
to have a principality.

> It is hoped a greater number of people will feel involved in things should this
> occur and ain't that what we're after in the first place?

I am.  But a number of people, people I like and respect, don't agree.
They
argue that we lack the identity, we can't work together, and we'd
overcrowd the
calendar.  I think we have the first, could easily decide to fix the
second,
and can never get around the third (but then, "we'd have to have events"
doesn't seem like a reason to NOT found an SCA branch; I want to do so
that
we CAN have events).

> Yers,
>
> Gunthar