CR - No P-word for now!

Lee Martindale lmartin at airmail.net
Wed Jan 28 03:49:58 PST 1998

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> As consensus is, itself, a requirement for advancement,
> those who argue against the proposal successfully disqualify
> the region from advancement.

As one whose intention was to have attended that meeting but for
whom personal and family matters took precedent, I am not
displeased with this outcome.

I am one of those "typical" rank-and-file members whom several
here have presented as being in favor of the creation of a
principality.  Active for about seven years, I dutifully
send in my dues to the national office each year.  I hold an
AoA and an acorn. I have served my barony (Steppes) as chronicler,
Warlord autocrat, merchant coordinator and camp herald.  I have
have served the Kingdom as Central Regional Chronicler.  And from
time to time, I serve as voice for those not often heard, as is
my duty as Bard and bard.

Had I been able to attend that meeting, it would have been in
that last capacity, and it would have been to speak against
the move toward a principality.  And my reasons for doing so
would have been the very reasons I've read here presented as
arguments in favor of such.

> Which leaves the region where it was, if not even worse off.

If this is disappointment speaking, such is understandable.  But
it is a statement which begs to be elaborated.  Worse off how?
No additional level has been added between the populace and the
Kingdom, no additional "chiefs" have been added among which to
divide the volunteer efforts of a finite number of "Indians".
And, if we are very lucky, efforts to push for this after
it is clear that the consensus needed to advance the proposal
is lacking will not cause more damage than the "problems" said
proposal was supposed to "correct".

> (But wait!  _Are_ they OUR problems?  Surely Emerald
> Keep's problems are Emerald Keep's?

Perhaps.  Let us hear from Emerald Keep was those problems
might be.

>  To what extent
> is Elfsea responsible to help out Rosenfeld?

I would think that would be for Elfsea to decide.

>  Who's to
> criticize Steppes for the inward focus of most of its
> membership?

In practical terms, anyone who cares to.  In terms of who has the
right to do so, I would have to say that it remains the business
of the populace of the Steppes and no one else's.

>  The regional structure isn't designed to
> foster intra-regional loyalty or cohesiveness.)

Perhaps we need go back and determine if such are even
desirable.  My experience in this and other groups to
which I've belonged is that the backbone and the strength
of an organization are the local groups.  Every group I've
ever belonged to has, at one time or another, tried to
take resources away from the local group to feed a larger,
broader entity.  And, in every case, such a move has been
detrimental to the local groups, the members (let's not forget
the rank-and-file members), and - in short order - the organization
itself.

That is how I see both the proposal for formation of a
principality, and the subsequent proposal toward regionalism.
You keep saying "we" must do this, and "we" must do that, but
it is unclear to me just whom you mean when you say "we".

For me, "we" are others like myself - the rank-and-file member
for whom this is a hobby, who volunteer because we want to,
who do the work because we enjoy doing it and for as long as
we enjoy it and occasionally someone says "thanks".  "We"
who may not be peers or recipients of this honor or that, but
who continue to play until burn-out or efforts to devalue what
we do and where we do it gets to be too much.

For all the talk of "fun" and "new danglies" et al that preceded
that meeting, I saw nothing that told me how a principality would
benefit the typical member.  And there, in a nutshell, is why
I would have spoken in opposition to it.  I hope that this new
discussion on regional identity will address it.  I certainly hope
it does more than merely provide an excuse for insult to the
larger local groups.

--
Lee Martindale / Llereth Wyddffa an Myrddin / The Copper Bard
email: lmartin at airmail.net
http://web2.airmail.net/lmartin